Skip to main content

Why Should I Make Content Accessible?



I think a better question is, “Why do you teach?” I teach because I love to share the passion, knowledge, and life experiences I’ve had with others. Why do you teach?
We have student learning objectives for each course we teach, from which we design our course material. Making something clear for our students to understand the first time makes it easier on all of us and is part of the universal design process. Making something accessible is part of our job as teachers. Providing clear communication and clear access to the content we provide both online and in a face-to-face classroom helps our students succeed in our classrooms.

Accessibility or Accommodation

Accessibility is different from providing accommodations. We make an accommodation for an individual student upon their request which is a reactive response. Accessibility is a proactive response; it’s how we design our material to benefit students and allow them to gain access to the material we provide. Both accessibility and accommodations are important for us to understand and are mandated by federal law (Sections 508 and 504). 
Let’s look at a few student situations which might lead to lack of accessibility; therefore, potentially putting a student at a disadvantage.
      I don’t have a lot of bandwidth and I am asked to watch a video for an assignment within my class. If only there was a transcript, I could download the material and read it. I would then have access to the same material as my peers who have good internet access. 
      I’m at a laundromat where there are noisy machines and kids; if only my video I had to watch for class was captioned, I could follow along and have access to the material I needed in order to do my assignment when I get home.
      I get distracted easily, so I use a screen reader to verbally read the material as I follow along. I appreciate it when material is designed to be accessible for screen readers.
      English is my second language, so I appreciate it when instructors include alternative texts with their images and what they’re trying to convey. If I don’t understand a word, I can use my translator. It also helps me learn the cultural context of images being used.
The situations are numerous and not all of the examples above would be considered a disability. By designing our courses with accessible material, we can help reduce barriers to learning for all students in our classrooms. Over this past month, I have found myself using captions on videos and text to speak on my computer as I am spending more time online. I like the variety and not always having to just listen or only read. By designing my material with accessibility in mind, I am going to eliminate barriers and enhance learning within the online community I am building. We also are modeling for our students and teaching them the importance of accessibility, which will most likely be a skill set they will need in the working world.  So, why wouldn’t you make your content accessible? 
Next week, I’ll share some tips on how to make your content accessible.
A few resources I would recommend to explore more on this topic:
Written by Janelle Reeb
Online Learning Coordinator
Feel free to leave comments below
For additional resources, visit icc.edu/tlc webpage

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finish Well

As the semester ends, it can be bittersweet , and we can feel overwhelmed with the tasks at hand. We must prioritize what we do with our 86,400 seconds each day. I want to encourage you to carve out time to collect feedback from your students and to provide a sense of closure. I suggest providing students an opportunity to say goodbye, to reflect on the semester, and to celebrate their accomplishments. Here are four suggestions on how you can finish well.   1.     Farewell Discussion – Create an optional discussion forum as a place where students can share what they learned from the course with each other, say goodbye, or exchange information with other students within the course. This suggestion is a formal way to create a sense of closure. If you build a community of learners, it is only proper to create a sense of closure at the end of the semester. 2.     Exit Survey – Ask students for feedback on their experiences within your course. Ask questions that address the navigation, org

What is Universal Design for Learning?

Engaging Students in the Learning Process Every course we teach is unique and has a diverse population of students within it. Have you ever thought about how to make the material richer for your students? Students differ in learning styles and abilities. By attempting to offer learning opportunities, engagement, and assessment in multiple formats we can help increase the learning and mastery of all our students.  Universal Design for Learning (UDL) is a design framework that guides instructors to plan and provide genuine learning opportunities and support for all students. I would assume that you are already doing this within your classrooms, both face to face and online. You have a project for students to complete, and they are given a choice in how they can show what they have learned. Maybe they write a paper, prepare a PowerPoint, create a wiki, vlog, or blog. UDL is an instructional design framework offering flexibility and adaptability to meet the needs of our divers

Building Community is Essential

Building Community Is Essential  As you start to deliver your courses online, I want to encourage you to keep it simple. Pick tools and approaches acclimated to both you and your students. Your students will appreciate it if you rely on technology and routines that are familiar. Introduce new tools only when absolutely necessary. With all the unknowns, your students’ emotional and mental energy may already be drained; therefore, introducing new tools and approaches may leave less energy and attention for learning. Focus on what is necessary for your students to learn to complete the objectives of your course. Recommended tools you can use to deliver and to engage your students in your online classrooms can be found at icc.edu/tlc . Building a community online within your classroom is an opportunity to connect with your students in a new way. Over the past few weeks, the word that keeps coming to my mind is perseverance. Helen Keller wrote, “We can do anything we want to